If you want to know more about HBO Max, then you’ll absolutely enjoy the following article. This HBO Max preview offers a detailed look at this service, which is basically an online version of HBO. It offers a wide variety of content including Hollywood movies, documentaries, hit movies and original series.
What is HBO Max?
HBO Max is a new streaming platform from media giant WarnerMedia. The official launch for this service is May 2020, hence this HBO Max preview.
AT&T acquired Time Warner back in 2018 and named it a subsidiary of the company with plans to leverage its influence in the market to enter the streaming industry.
In a 2019 press conference, HBO Max announced that the platform would launch with over 10,000 hours of content, including shows for kids and content of all genres.
HBO Max will not take the place of HBO NOW or HBO GO and those services will continue to remain. But, HBO Max will offer exclusive content that you can’t find in any other platform, as well as classics such as Doctor Who, Friends, South Park and others.
It was back in October 2018 that AT&T announced its plans to offer a top of the line streaming service in partnership with HBO.
Later on in June 2019 came the announcement that the new streaming platform would be called HBO Max and would become available in the spring of 2020.
WarnerMedia expressed in a separate press meeting that the platform would offer all episodes of the Friends series as well as exclusive episodes of Pretty Little Liars and Fresh Prince of Bel-Air. Talk about street cred! This is in addition to The CW drama produced exclusively for Warner Bros. and new film production deals that will come soon.
As of the writing of this HBO Max preview article, the official launch date for HBO Max is May 2020.
It’s worth noting that the Boondocks and The Big Bang Theory have also joined the ranks of Studio Ghibli films and exclusive children’s programming in the line-up of innovative content that will be offered by HBO Max. There’s also a secret reality competition series and limited drama series in the works which we’re very excited to hear about.
Attention: Read before you continue
Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users online activities. If found streaming or browsing content on your Fire TV Stick, mobile or PC, you could get into serious trouble.
Currently, the following information is visible:
- Your IP:
- Your Country:
- Your City:
- Your ISP:
If this is your real information, you need to use a VPN to protect your identity.
We strongly recommend you to get a good VPN and hide your identity so that your online experience doesn’t take a bad turn.
We use IPVanish which is the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like their service, you can always ask for a refund. IPVanish also runs a limited time offer where you can save 74% on your VPN and they allow you to use one account on unlimited devices.
This is a flash sale that can expire at any time!
HBO Max Preview
Now, there isn’t a lot of information available out there with regards to the HBO Max platform release. This is apart from the details supplied during that one press conference. But, there have been a few rumors and official announcements and developments since then.
For the purposes of this HBO Max preview, we’re going to list them below.
• Streaming Quality
We’re not sure if HBO Max will offer HDR and/or 4K resolution.
But, we expect that they will offer both options because all of the platform’s competitors offer this quality of content and they wouldn’t want to lag behind the competition.
• Supported Devices
HBO Max hasn’t released an official list of compatible devices for its platform but it’s safe to assume that we will get an exhaustive list by May 2020. After all, that is the launch date.
• Content Lineup
As of this writing, HBO has a number of original programs under its belt, including popular shows like WestWorld, Euphoria, Barry, and Watchmen. Of course, users will still have access to old favorites like Entourage, The West Wing and Game of Thrones.
Other shows that are expected to feature on HBO Max include:
- The Outsider by Stephen King: This is a Jason Bateman original so you can imagine how dark it’s going to get.
- Lovecraft Country: This is a Jordan Peele directed horror series.
- The Nevers: A sci-fi series with Laura Donnelly as the star.
- The Gilded Age: Inspired by Downtown Abbey creator.
- Avenue 5: This is a sci-fi series from Armando Iannucci who bought us Veep.
- The Undoing: This is a psychological thriller starring Hugh Grant and Nicole Kidman.
- The Plot Against America: This miniseries is an alternative perspective on WW2 and stars Winona Ryder.
- I Know This Much is True: This TV series is inspired by an eponymous novel and has Mark Ruffalo in the lead.
- Friends: The entire box set including all current 226 episodes and the upcoming reunion special.
- Rick and Morty: Including the first three seasons.
- Doctor Who: Season 11 premiere will be included.
- Adventure Time: Distant Lands – includes multiple one-hour specials.
- The Big Bang Theory: The entire box set.
- Pretty Little Liars: American teen mystery drama.
- The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air: This is the 90s American sitcom that launched Will Smith’s career.
- Top Gear: Car enthusiasts rejoice!
- The Honourable Woman: Starring Maggie Gyllenhaal, this mini-series was initially released back in 2014.
- Luther: Starring Idris Elba, this is a British crime drama.
- The Office: Also set in Great Britain, this is a Ricky Gervais original mockumentary.
- Doom Patrol: Features all of your favorite superheroes.
- Green Lantern: This series is based on two separate Green Lantern stories and his adventures on Earth.
- Aquaman: King of Atlantis: Miniseries separated into three parts.
- DC Super Hero High: 30-minute comedy series.
- Rap Sh*t: A 30-minute comedy series inspired by a female rap ground.
- College Girls: Created by Mindy Paling, this comedy series follows the lives of freshmen roommates.
- A number of children’s shows based on the work of Mo Willems
- Studio Ghibli films
- Sesame Street
- Looney Tunes
- Dune: The Sisterhood – based on the Dune Universe.
- The Flight Attendant: Inspired by an eponymous novel by Chris Bohjalian.
- Let Them All Talk: A comedy film starring Meryl Streep.
- Love Life: A 30-minute rom-com style anthology series spanning 10 episodes and starring Anna Kendrick.
- Station Eleven: Based on a sci-fi novel about a pandemic flu (how ironic).
- Made for Love: Based on a tragicomic novel from 2017.
- Raised by Wolves: A Ridley Scott original sci-fi drama series.
- Tokyo Voice: A series inspired by real-life events of the Tokyo Metropolitan Police.
- Starstruck: A millennial-inspired comedy series split into six parts.
- Americanah: Starring Lupita Nyong’o, this series is about a Nigerian woman who moves to the US.
- Unpregnant: Based on an eponymous young adult novel.
- Little Ellen: 2D series inspired by the life of Ellen DeGeneres at 7 years old.
- First Dates Hotel: Matchmaking series.
- Superintelligence: Starring Melissa McCarthy, this comedy movie has an AI theme.
- The Prince: Animated comedy series.
- The Uninhabitable Earth: A fictional series about the effects of global warming.
- Boys: An 80s period drama that follows five friends.
There are several film production deals in the pipeline with producers like Reese Witherspoon and Greg Berlanti.
Reboots and Spinoffs
- Ellen’s Design Challenge: A reality show based on interior design.
- Gossip Girl: A reboot of the original CW show of the same name. This one follows the lives of the characters 8 years after the series finale.
- Gremlins: Based on a comedy horror film of the same name that was initially released in 1984.
- Perry Mason: Produced by Robert Downey Jr., this legal drama is based on a ‘60’s reboot of the same name.
- The Boondocks: Two additional seasons based on the original.
- Katy Keene: A Riverdale spinoff.
- Grease Rydell High: Musical spinoff of the original Grease film.
HBO Max Subscription Packages
HBO Max will start at $14.99 per month.
However, if you fit into the following categories, then you can access the platform for free:
- Existing HBO NOW subscribers
- Existing AT&T video service subscribers (i.e. U-Verse TV and AT&T TV)
- Premium AT&T mobile subscriber
The above-mentioned exceptions are not available to anyone whom the following applies to:
- Existing HBO TV service subscriber
- Third-party HBO NOW subscriber
Obviously, more information will be released from now until the launch so you should keep your ears peeled for any updates.
Now, with its cheapest plan costing $14.99 per month, HBO Max is rather expensive when compared to its competitors. Netflix’s entry-level plan costs just $8.99 per month.
HBO Max Release Date
The official US HBO Max launch is in May 2020.
Latin American and European viewers will have to wait until May 2021 to access the platform.
What did you think of our HBO Max preview? Did you get all the information you need? Did we answer to your questions? Let us know in the comments below.