As those who’ve tried it will tell you, there are many benefits to cord cutting equipment not least of which is the prospect of saving money. In fact, switching from cord to cordless has to be one of the easiest and most affordable switches you’ll make.
Sure, there are a lot of high-end streaming devices that come with expensive cord cutting equipment and lots of fancy features. But this might not be what you’re looking for. Perhaps you’re in the market for a simpler solution that gets the job done without a lot of bells and whistles.
In the following guide, we’re going to share tips on how to save on cord cutting equipment. All this while keeping your options open.
What is Cord Cutting
Cord cutting refers to the process of removing a landline phone or getting rid of your satellite or cable TV subscription service. A growing number of customers are getting rid of satellite and cable services. Instead, there are going for more affordable options such as Internet TV (ITV).
Once a cord-cutter has gotten rid of their landline phone, they typically turn to VoIP service or just their smartphones. The whole point of cord cutting is to save money. However, it’s a great way to part ways with a service provider that’s no longer serving you right.
The thing about Internet TV is that it offers a wide array of options. This includes streaming services like Hulu and Netflix, where one can watch countless TV shows and movies straight from their original TV channel websites.
The great thing about streaming content online is that you can watch it from different devices. This includes your laptop, smartphone, tablet, desktop, or your smart TV. A common alternative to satellite and cable is over the air (OTA) broadcasts.
Attention: Read before you continue
Governments and ISPs across the world monitor their users online activities. If found streaming or browsing content on your Fire TV Stick, mobile or PC, you could get into serious trouble.
Currently, the following information is visible:
- Your IP:
- Your Country:
- Your City:
- Your ISP:
If this is your real information, you need to use a VPN to protect your identity.
We strongly recommend you to get a good VPN and hide your identity so that your online experience doesn’t take a bad turn.
We use IPVanish which is the fastest and most secure VPN in the industry. It is very easy to install on any device including Amazon Fire TV Stick. Also, it comes with a 30-day money-back guarantee. If you don’t like their service, you can always ask for a refund. IPVanish also runs a limited time offer where you can save 74% on your VPN and they allow you to use one account on unlimited devices.
This is a flash sale that can expire at any time!
Free to $35
- Old Laptop or PC: One way to save on cord cutting equipment is to re-use an old desktop or laptop computer. There are lots of free and paid streaming services out there which you can access through your regular web browser. From there, all you need is an HDMI port to display the content on your TV.
- Mohu Leaf 30 TV Antenna: You can easily access free local content using an indoor TV antenna. Websites such as AntennaWeb are a great resource. They help you find the right antenna model and local stations that are available.
- Insignia Amplified Thin Film HDTV Antenna: This Insignia model is a great way to watch lots of content. All while saving money on cord cutting equipment.
$35 to $50
- Roku Streaming Stick+: The Roku Streaming Stick+ comes with a lot of the features you’d expect from the brand’s flagship streamers. The difference is that this one looks like a thumb-drive. It can be directly installed into the HDMI port of your TV set. This gives you access to live content and on-demand content through free and paid streaming services.
- Fire TV Stick 4K: The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is a compact streaming device that you can easily plug and play on your TV. You can even take it with you when traveling. This way, you always have access to your favorite content.
$50 to $100
- Roku Ultra: The Roku Ultra is the company’s latest device. It comes with a lot of great upgrades including advanced voice remote, micro SD card reader, and Ethernet support.
- Fire TV Cube: The Fire TV Cube is Amazon’s best streaming device. It comes with a built-in speaker, Alexa support and you can pair with other devices including your soundbar.
- Antennas Direct ClearStream 4MAX Indoor/Outdoor HDTV Antenna: If your goal is to get free access to local channels through means other than your indoor antenna, then you should look into this versatile indoor/outdoor option from Antennas Direct.
- Apple TV 4K: This is a premium streaming service from Apple. It supports a wide variety of streaming services and apps. It also offers gaming support thanks to the Arcade+ paid service courtesy of Apple. If you buy this device, then you’ll also get free access to the Apple TV+ streaming service for a year.
It’s safe to say that there’s no shortage of budget-friendly cord-cutting options available to consumers nowadays. You really don’t have to spend an arm and a leg to become a cord-cutter.
What are your tips on how to save on cord cutting equipment? Let us know in the comments below!